Thursday, May 13, 2010

More Sandgrouse sightings

I recently found some time to head into the sunflower fields south of Sun City to search for the Yellow-throated Sandgrouse.

I was presented with a good sighting within minutes of arriving, and this turned out to be the first of many. All of the sightings were seen from the road verge, as after all the glorious rain we have received recently, there was no chance at all of even walking into the fields due to the mud. A few groups were seen flying over, and all in all I must have seen near on 50 individuals.

A number of people have had the opportunity recently to visit the site, and I've heard good results for all the visits.

On my visit, the fields also presented good views of Greater Kestrel, Booted Eagle and Chestnut-backed Sparrowlark, with the surrounding village offering awesome views of Scaly-feathered Finch.

No comments:

Post a Comment